Friday the 13th June, 2008
Thirteen Facts about Friday the 13th:
1. The fear of Friday 13th is called:- Paraskavedekatriaphobia
2. The modern reason for our superstition is said to come from Friday October the 13th, 1307. On this date, the Pope of the church in Rome in conjunction with the King of France, carried out a secret death warrant against "the Knights Templar". The Templars were executed as heretics, removing the power they had held for so long. There Grand Master, Jacques DeMolay, was arrested and before he was killed, was tortured and crucified.
3. Is considered a day of bad luck in English, French & Portuguese speaking countries around the world, as well as in Austria, Germany, Estonia, Finland, The Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Bulgaria, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia & the Philippines.
4. The origin of the fear of Friday the 13th, is said to date back to Nordic Mythology.
5. In Greece, Rommania & Spanish speaking countries, it's Tuesday the 13th that's considered unlucky, whereas in Italy it's Friday the 17th!
6. According to the Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina, more than 67 million people are affected by a fear of this day.
7. A British Medical Journal British study has shown that there is a significant increase in traffic-related accidents on Fridays the 13th.
8. This year (2008) has only one Friday the 13th, but 2009 will have 3, in February, March & November.
9. Both Margaret Thatcher & Fidel Castro were born on Friday the 13th, (October 1925 & August 1926 respectively)
10. Certain ocean liners will be held in dock until after midnight to appease passenger's fears on Friday the 13th.
11. Friday was the common day for people to be hanged in the past & there were 13 steps up to the gallows.
12. The remake of the film 'Friday the 13th' is planned for release on Friday 13th 2009.
13. The asteroid 99942 Apophis will make its close encounter on Friday, April 13th 2029.